sunnuntai 9. lokakuuta 2016

Yllättävän heikko puolustusvalmius

1802-projektin puitteissa otin esiin vanhan matkakertomuskokoelmani You must not forget to take your own harness ja luin ajallisesti sopivimmat. Robert Kerr Porterin vuonna 1809 julkaistussa kirjassa Travelling Sketches in Russia an Sweden; During the Years 1805, 1806, 1807, 1808 oli pysäyttävä pätkä. Ajatellen Suomen sotaa ja viime päivien uutisia ilmatilanloukkauksista ja mahdollisesta ohjuskuljetuksesta Kaliningradiin.

Turussa joulukuussa 1807 Kerr kirjoitti Ahvenkosken rajanylityksestä Venäjältä Ruotsin puolelle näin:
Here I found a very slender guard; and after the usual formalities, passed through them with great ease. I was rather surprised to find so slight a defence opposed to the coming enemy; but as I proceeded my astonishment increased, as I rarely saw any thing bearing the least affinity with arms: and when I recalled the large army I had just quitted, on the full march to overwhelm this country, I was totally at a loss how to account for so unguarded a security. Either the information they receive must be very bad, or some policy is carrying on beyond my comprehension; for, I cannot seriously suppose that Baron de Steddinge, the worthy representative of the royal Gustavus on the frontiers, would allow so hostile an appearance to escape his vigilance.
Robert Kerr Porterin kuva Wikimediasta, jonka digitaalisen version tekijänoikeus kyseenalaistettu, minkä kunniaksi leikin kuvankäsittelyllä.

Ei kommentteja: